Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Rock Bottom by R.K. Lilley



5+++ Heart breaking, gut wrenching stars
I knew going into “Rock Bottom” that I was in for one hell of a roller coaster ride.  As much as I tried to brace myself, I was not prepared for the intense emotions Danika and Tristan’s love story invoked.  And, finally, the two most important questions that I pondered since the “Up in the Air” trilogy have been addressed! What caused Danika’s limp? What severed these two lovers apart?  The answers lie within this powerful story of two lovers that were destined to be together, yet ripped apart by the tragic circumstances that surrounded their lives..... their journey shredded me.

"Their love had the power of a runaway freight train, and the potential to be just as destructive. “ 

Freight train is an understatement.....their love was.....
Fiery hot, intense, explosive, lethal, toxic and catastrophic. 

Tristan. 
Beautiful
She was the one.  
If I’d ever had a doubt, I didn’t now.  She was the one I’d be thinking about, longing for, until I took my last breath.  If I lost her tomorrow, I’d pine for her like a lovesick fool. 
“...This is forever for me, sweetheart.  I want it all with you.  You’re the thing that gets me up in the morning and lets me rest easy at night.  I wouldn’t have survived some of the shit these last few months if it weren’t for you.  You’re my rock, Danika, and I need you to trust me.” 

His name alone oozes raw sex and machismo.  He is a smooth, sexy rocker with a deliciously dirty mouth and the sexual appetite of a beast. 

“Want me to pull your hair and give you a rough ride, sweetheart?  Fuck the angst out?”
“Gonna fuck you ’til neither of us can walk straight tomorrow”
“I’m going to pin you to that table when she’s done with you and fuck your brains out.”

My poor broken, beautiful, passionate man - I was both totally in love and infuriated with you. There is absolutely no doubt that Tristan adores Danika.  His love for her is true.  BUT, UGH!!!  All I wanted for him to do was...
SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!!!
Tristan's character was an absolute contradiction - He is a powerhouse. A physically strong, larger than life charismatic man, yet so emotionally weak he seemed childlike.  Tristan's love for Danika was all consuming, absolute and unconditional.  With a love so powerful, it should be all a man needs in order to survive....But,



Tristan is a slave to his addictions, which eventually consumes him and dims the light that Danika shines.  As much as he loves her, he is selfish.  And the longer they are together, the more toxic their relationship becomes.

Plunging into darkness, Tristan's soul is constantly tormented by the demons that plagued his past as well as the nefarious bastards he surrounds himself with.  Life for Tristan is too much to bare.  He is lost in a vicious cycle of drugs and alcohol, which added to his agony. Prolonged separations from Danika added to his misery.  He made horrible decisions, which led him on a self-destructive path, annihilating Danika along the way.  By the time Tristan comes to his senses, it’s too late.  He had caused Danika so much pain and hardship, she is forced to turn away and salvage what little is left if her broken life and shattered heart. 



Danika.

“You’ve got me.  And I’m not going anywhere.  Not ever.”  

I meant the words when I said them, but life had other plans for us.

I’d have given my life for that fight.  In fact, I very nearly did. 
How much tragedy can one woman endure?  At what point does she realize that sometimes love is not enough?

Danika was devoted to Tristan and has literally given all of herself to him.  The suffering this woman has endured in the name of love was inconceivable.  Tristan's destructive behavior was such a powerful, cataclysmic force, it shattered Danika to her very core, leaving carnage in place. She is one of the strongest literary female characters I have come across. However, I wanted more from her.....I needed Danika to display more of anger.  I needed to see her lash out and show Tristan exactly how much torment, physically and emotionally, he has caused.   He was blissfully unaware of all wreckage left in his wake - little does he know just how much his love had cost her. It was tragic and poisonous. Hopefully, Danika will get her due in “Lovely Trigger”.
And yes, I was overjoyed and flipping cartwheels when Dean received his just desserts. Dean, you are a rotten son of a bitch bastard.  Wanted to cut you DEEP.  You are one of the dirtiest scumbags ever.  You reaped what you sowed. I could not have wished for a happier ending for you.  Twatalie, you’re such a stupid transparent ho. You got what you deserved as well.

Bravo R.K.!!

“Rock Bottom” was well worth the wait.  It was a beautifully written, emotional charged, heartbreaking love story. Both Tristan and Danika’s stories had me reeling to the point I was in the fetal position, bawling. There is no real cliff-hanger, but no happily ever after either.  I love reading both Tristan and Danika’s POV - seeing them bare their souls was an experience I won’t soon forget.  I am counting the days until the last installment.  





No comments:

Post a Comment