Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Let it Be Me ~ By Barbara Speak


  3.5 ~ 4 Stars

ARC received from author in exchange for an honest review 

Barbara Speak gives us a heartwarming story of two people, both victims of circumstance, whose paths have joined them together. Arianna Dubray, a likeable yet overly dramatic young girl, finds herself in a new town and a new life – none of it is welcomed or of her choosing. Her character had my sympathies as she greatly suffers from the secrets she carries, an abusive stepfather, a neglectful mother and the forced changes in her world. Arianna’s saving grace is a sexy and sweet cowboy I’ve come to adore…Canyon Michaels.

He’s hot, charismatic, patient and amazingly kind. Canyon offers a friendship to Ari when she is at the lowest point in her life. Both main characters struggle with emotional pain and the only comfort they find is within each other’s arms. I enjoyed seeing their friendship grow and blossom into love.


Let it Be Me was a slow moving read at first, but the storyline picks up during the second half as secrets begin to unravel and the bonds of their relationship deepens. I found myself constantly guessing as to what troubles were buried in Ari’s past. There’s lots of drama in this read and a cast of characters I’ve come to adore, especially Shelby (Ari’s cute little sister), and some I totally despised, that added the element of angst to the story. Some laughable moments and times I found myself frustrated – mainly with Ari’s melodramatic persona. But all in all, the heavy dose of heartache and heart mending, laced throughout the story, was emotionally touching. Happy there’s no cliffhanger, and looking forward to Canyon and Ari’s continuing saga in Let it Be Us.






No comments:

Post a Comment