
With Fast Lane,
Kristen Ashley stepped out of her norm to compose a compelling Rock n' Roll
romance with such incredible passion, I was captivated from the heartfelt
dedication to the very last word. This was not your typical KA novel, but a gripping
love story nonetheless. It was a profound experience journeying through the
years with Preacher McCade, his Roadmasters, and the muse who centered them all
~ Lyla.
This was a departure from the way Ashley writes and differs from anything I've read before, as the story unfolded through an interview-style format. It took me a hot minute to get used to it, but eventually, I became absorbed and totally fascinated with these characters. Jesse Simms, the band's founding member and one of the main interviewees, commanded my full attention. Through his recollections (and many digressions), the bandmates and romance came to life. I became engrossed with their beginnings and how they skyrocketed to the top of the charts; all their triumphs and turmoil; those who came, left and impacted the Roadmasters' lives; how meeting Lyla changed them forever; and the whirlwind of drama which surrounded them all. Center stage stood Preacher and Lyla, as their relationship was just as important to the group as the music they created.

From Jesse and Lyla's
memories, we got to know the talented, enigmatic, and charismatic Preacher
McCade. Man, that's such a cool name and very fitting for this edgy Cajun
rocker. But awesome name aside, there's so much to discover when it comes to
this hero, you'll need to experience his intensity first hand. I will say he
absolutely haunted me throughout this read. A man shrouded in darkness, he
sought light from his beloved Lyla. I was lost within the story exploring the
depths of his character as his secrets slowly unraveled. There were times I was
crushed, brought to tears, and needed a moment to catch my breath and calm the
riotous pounding of my heart. I had a love/hate relationship with Preach as I
liked the man he became despite his circumstances, yet felt unsettled by some
of the decisions he made. He certainly played with my emotions, but in the end,
I became a fan.

Lyla, the muse and love of
Preacher's life, was the heart and soul of The Roadmasters and the inspiration
for several of their songs. Low key and seemingly timid on the surface, she was
a nurturer tending to the needs of not only her man but the entire group. The
bonds that kept them together ran deep. She was not what I expected. This shy
girl could be fierce. The Roadmasters were her crew, and she stood by them
through the good, the bad and the very, very ugly.

Emotional, passionate, raw, and gritty, Fast Lane was a behind the scenes look into the world of rock - with plenty of sex and drugs included. A novel that was part romance and part music history lesson, Preacher McCade and the Roadmasters' journey through the wild 80s and '90s was remarkable. The flow of the story was a tad slow in the beginning as I needed time to find comfort with the interview style of writing and become familiar with all of the characters. However, it intensified considerably as the plot progressed and moved beyond the music, the band, and Lyla. Preacher was a tortured soul for a reason, as his past was excruciatingly painful. His circumstances described were some of the darkest moments penned by this author that I have ever read. Completely heart wrenching. But through the magic of KA and Lyla's love for Preacher, I managed to make my way past the sorrow and into the light.
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment