Monday, November 16, 2015

Untamed (Thoughtless #4) by S.C. Stephens



4 Stars

Finding out Griffin “The Hulk” Hancock was getting his own book…




I was overjoyed and could not wait to crawl inside Griffin’s crazy mind. Throughout the Thoughtless Series, his character came across as the comic relief to an otherwise serious, angst filled story.  In Untamed, we get all of Griffin – His lunacy, his outlook on life and seeing the world through his eyes. The experience was interesting, to say the least. I can unequivocally say that Griffin is the most delusional, self-centered character I have ever come across, yet I adored him. This bad boy bassist has the largest ego – ever. His world and everything he touches is… Awesome.




Beyond his clueless idiocy, lays the heart of a man who learns life’s lessons the hardest of ways. In losing it all, Griffin struggled and learned not to take life, family and friends for granted. And in his struggle, he worked hard to regain the adoration of those who love him. I have to say he drove me nuts with all his misguided views and poor decisions.  But, I cherished how he matured and sought redemption.



For most of the story Griffin, in his uniquely comical way, exasperated me with his stubbornness, jealousy and selfishness. The mistakes and circumstances he got involved in had me both giggling at his hijinks and wanting to smack some sense into him.



Poor Anna, I felt terrible for all her frustrations. Her husband was a handful, driving her (and me) to the point of vexation at times. 



By hitting rock bottom - losing fame, fortune and his family, reality FINALLY sank into his thick skull. Griffin was smacked silly with a huge wake up call, forced into maturity and took responsibility for his actions. This is where I’ve come to adore him even more – the clueless Hulk grew up. 



This story was a great departure in style and tone from the previous installments of this series. It was a refreshing change to see Stephens penning a tale mostly filled with levity in comparison to the emotional angst fill heaviness that draped Kiera and Kellan’s romance. Yes, there were serious moments, but for the most part, Untamed was a lighthearted read. As much as I love Kellan, I am a hulk fan girl too. I liked Griffin jumping into Untamed and walked away cherishing his character. I always appreciate a good story involving a character’s redemption and Griffin certainly proved himself to me despite his stupid, ridiculous mistakes.  He grew and learned to treasure the important things in life…his wife, his family and friends. I loved seeing more of Kellan…*sigh*…and the rest of the D-bags. For a fan of the series, this is a must read and I do hope Stephens continues the series by giving Evan and Matt their own romances. I don’t want to let these characters go.


Arc kindly received from publisher in exchange for an honest review.
TRIPLES with EMMA

No comments:

Post a Comment