Sunday, April 19, 2015

Deep (Stage Dive #4) by Kylie Scott @KylieScottbooks

Why…WHY does it have to end? Stage Dive is one of my favorite rock-star reads and I hate – absolutely LOATHE the fact that Ben’s book marks this series’ finale. Kylie Scott has the knack of writing the most delicious, lighthearted romances that combines sizzling sexy bad-boy rockers, sassy chicks, laugh out loud antics and steamy passionate moments which always leaves me breathless. Reading Deep was bittersweet because I’ll sincerely miss this loony crew, especially my man, Mal. I’m a total Stage Dive fan-girl groupie.

Poor Lizzy.
Being Anne’s little sister and Mal’s sister-in-law, she easily fell into this band’s family and caught sight of Ben…the sexy, bearded bass player. After lusting and drooling over this bad ass for what seems like forever, she finally gets her shot at one night of unbridled passion, the likes of which were not only earth shattering, but also life altering – in a HUGE way. However, their one time Vegas fling did not end so well, which left her utterly crushed. All hopes of putting their tryst behind her is now impossible...She’s knocked up.

Young, single, alone and preggers, Lizzy manages to suck it up, lay out a new plan for her future, break the news to Ben  (Cue in major freak-out - dude did not take the news so well) and face the possibility that she will take on parenthood all on her own.  
Liz was a heroine that I could not help but admire. She’s the master of sarcasm and I loved the back and forth banter between her and Ben through their texts and phone conversations. She’s got attitude, but has a sweet and gentle loving side.  And it goes without saying - Lizzy is patient, especially dealing with Ben and his standoffish manner. I felt heartbroken at times because I sensed her affections towards the likes of Ben were one sided and her character struggled. Between raging pregnancy hormones, pent up horniness, meddling friends/family and a less than enthusiastic baby daddy, Liz has her hands full, yet never lost her sense of self and sense of humor. She is my favorite heroine of the series.
Oh Ben, seriously, I wanted to knee you in the nuts and smack some sense into you.


I really wanted to love Ben from the start, but he pissed me off…the big bearded relationship and commitment phobe jerk. Ugh! He flat-out frustrated me with his aloof demeanor and being scared shitless of Lizzy's situation. Yeah, he was sexy in a brooding panty melting way and his dirty talk was hot, but he’s a bit too self absorbed. That didn’t give me the warm and fuzzies towards his character. HOWEVER, when he FINALLY pulled his head out of ass and dropped his guard, he was sweet, loving and affectionate. Near the bitter end of the story, his gentle side broke through in the way he cared for Liz, and the seductive rocker won me over. It wasn’t easy, with all the drama he created, but I was so happy he was able to turn my feelings for his character around. I walked away adoring Ben.
All in all, I enjoyed Deep and truly sad to see these characters’ stories come to an end. I will miss them, especially Mal’s crazy shenanigans. The ending was a bit too rushed for me. Letting go of these characters was difficult enough; I wanted to savor each and every one of them a little longer. Nonetheless, I absolutely love Scott’s clever mix of sex and humor, which flowed throughout each one of her tales. Her witty writing style places her high on my ‘must read’ authors list.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment