Thursday, October 31, 2013

Mine by Katy Evans




3.5 out of 5 stars

This review was difficult for me. I am going against the grain on this one, and I know that my viewpoint will not be a popular one.  I did not love “Mine”.  I liked it, but I struggled through this read. I really, really tried to get into it, but certain things bothered me and they could not be over looked.  Regardless, I would like to thank the author for sharing her story and Remy, who is an amazing alpha-male.

Remy’s character saved the book for me.  He was strong, both physically as well as emotionally.  He maintained control of his circumstances and the highly sensitive, erratic train wreck that was Brooke, in spite of his ailments.  I adored the way he handled her, loved her, worshipped her, and soothed her.  He is a powerful and erotically sensual man. He’s the example of the perfect alpha-male and his flaws made his character more appealing. All that is Remy, the lion, kept my interest in this story.

Brooke, on the other hand, was far from appealing to me.  What makes a character fascinating is watching their persona grow and evolve as the story progresses.  It just did not happen with Brooke. She was immature, selfish and irrational at times.  Towards the very end of the story, her character began to show a slight growth, which was a bit too late in the game.

I felt an opportunity was missed in this tale.  Most of the story was dedicated to Brooke’s amorous feelings for Remy.  How she loved him, how he turned her on, how horny he made her feel, how protective and “proprietary “ Remy is of her. The description of her feelings  and affections seemed to go on and on, page after page. Leaving me to wonder when will the story pick up? Where’s the angst? Why not more conflict with Scorpion (Remy’s nemesis)? I wanted fewer declarations of love and more “meat and potatoes” in this story. Again, by the time it started to pull together, it was towards the finale.

Lastly, to end on a positive note, the love scenes were sizzling hot, proving that Remy is “the man”.  Brooke’s love letter was sweet and, as always, I adored the way these two lovebirds communicated their feelings through song.  I do look forward to reading Remy’s POV in the next installment of this series.  His character is fascinating and cannot wait to see the world through his eyes.








No comments:

Post a Comment